The purpose of the Waterfront Skills module is to teach lifeguards the skills and knowledge needed to prevent and respond to emergencies in nonsurf, open-water areas found at public parks, resorts, summer camps and campgrounds.
LOCATION: Alumni Arena Natatorium, North Campus
PARTICIPANT LIMIT: 6 MAX
- Candidates must have a current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED.
- Be at least 15 years old on or before the last day of the instructor course.
- Swim 550 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles are allowed.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance underwater.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings places 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards to complete the skill sequence.
- All participants must attend every class. (Any participant that misses a class will not receive certification. No exceptions, no refunds.).
- All participants must achieve 80% or better on all written exams.
- All participants must successfully complete all physical requirements with respect to lifeguarding skills.
- All participants must exhibit professionalism at all times during the course. (Inappropriate behavior will result in dismissal of the course. No exceptions, no refunds.)
- Participants will need an American Red Cross Lifeguarding Manual.