The Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Course is a Red Cross certification for swimming and diving instructors. The purpose of the course is to train instructor candidates to teach courses and presentations in the American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety program by developing their understanding of how to use course materials, how to conduct training sessions, and how to evaluate participants' progress. This course is completed partially online, in a classroom and pool deck, as well as in the pool.
LOCATION: Alumni Arena Natatorium, North Campus
PARTICIPANT LIMIT: 8 MAX
- Be at least 16 years old on or before the last day of the instructor course.
- Successfully complete the In-Water Pre-course Session, which includes being able to swim at least at the American Red Cross Level 5 proficiency.
- Successfully complete the online Orientation to the Red Cross.
- Successfully complete the online Orientation to the Water Safety Instructor Program.
- All participants must attend every class. (Any participant that misses a class will not receive certification. No exceptions, no refunds.)
- All participants must achieve 80% or better on all written exams.
- All participants must successfully complete all physical requirements with respect to lifeguarding skills.
- All participants must exhibit professionalism at all times during the course. (Inappropriate behavior will result in dismissal of the course. No exceptions, no refunds.)
If you have any questions please Click here to email Nate Bourke, Assistant Director for Aquatics.
**There current are no WSI classes scheduled at this time. **
Wait list sign-up link.